The history of Sandvikengården

The history of Sandvikengården

From Anna at Hagen's gift to a living course and camp farm

1920s–1930s: The Foundation

Anna at Hagen donated her small farmstead to EFS

1920s–1930s: The Foundation

In the late 1920s, Anna Olsson — known as Anna på Hagen — donated her small farmstead on the banks of the Värmeln River to the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church in Värmland. Her vision was simple but powerful: to create a place where missionaries returning from Africa could find rest and encounter God’s love. People called her “The Fatherland Foundation” for her generous gifts.

In 1931, the Junior Home (Sandvikengården) was inaugurated by Commissioner Anders Nilsson. The first new building — which is today called the Readers' Cottage — housed accommodation on the lower and upper floors as well as a chapel. Anna Olsson's small cottage was used as a kitchen. Drinking water was collected from a well at the neighbor's in Lavika and dishwater was collected from the lake.

In 1934, the household committee reported in-kind donations from the village of Kronan: flour, peas, eggs, butter and potatoes. The farm was largely dependent on the support of the local community. In the early years, all work was carried out voluntarily by committed EFS members.

In 1932, the first junior camp was organized from July 28 to August 3. In 1933, invitations were given to two junior camps with a camp fee of six kronor.

1950s: Growth and development

The farm during the 1950s expansion

1950s: Growth and development

In 1951, the first sewing association meeting was held with 200 participants — a sign of the growing interest in the farm. In 1952, Vilma Larsson began working in the kitchen, and she continued every summer until her death in the 1990s.

In 1953, a gas stove was installed and a sewage line was arranged for the kitchen. In 1955, the Camp Hut was inaugurated with a construction cost of 20,000–30,000 kronor. Over 30 collection lists circulated in Värmland and Dalsland.

In 1957, a Bible course was held with Ole Hallesby from Norway as the main speaker — an event that marked the farm's increased importance as a course location. In 1959, a new dining room with an open fireplace was built — the current Sunnemosalen.

In the late 1950s, Holger Lundström was hired as a music consultant for EFS in Värmland, and singing and music camps became an important new activity. This musical tradition has been a central part of the farm's identity ever since.

1960s: Confirmation and expansion

Junior Camp 1933

1960s: Confirmation and expansion

The first confirmation camp was organized in 1960 — a pivotal year that marked the beginning of a long and successful tradition. Since then, almost 2,000 young people have participated in over 60 years of continuous activity.

That same summer, 1960, boys' and girls' camps (15 kronor), youth camps and Bible courses were arranged. In 1962, music camps and youth camps were organized with Folke Bäckström (his 10th consecutive year).

In 1963, a gift of land was received from Märta and Ernst Andersson in Laviken. The new dining room and kitchen would eventually be built on this land.

In 1966, Sandvikengården was allowed to borrow the thanksgiving bell from Boda parish “until further notice.” In 1967, a decision was made to build a new kitchen and dining room at a total cost of 167,000 kronor.

1970s: Canoe center and chapel

Canoeing has been a part of Sandvikengården since 1973.

1970s: Canoe center and chapel

In 1970, extensive renovations began. The old dining room (Sunnemosalen) was converted into a chapel, and the old chapel was converted into housing. All rooms in the Camp Hut were given sinks — but only cold water!

In 1971, the farm was visited by 400 people during the sports holidays. The Swedish National Inheritance Fund granted a grant of 80,000 kronor for the expansion.

In 1973, the first children's choir camp was held with 40 participants. The same year, canoe rentals started at Sandvikengården — the first canoe center in Värmland approved by the Swedish Canoe Association.

In 1974, a new beach was built below the football field. In 1979, Martin Frykberg was hired as a summer housekeeper. Statistics showed 3,229 overnight guests, 2,497 day guests and 1,701 camp days.

The 1980s: Sandviken Church and new traditions

The chapel at Sandvikengården

The 1980s: Sandviken Church and new traditions

In 1982, a unanimous decision was made to build a new chapel. In 1982 and 1984, Sandvikengården received 60 percent of Håkan Hagegård's Christmas free concert income from Brunskog Church.

In 1983, Sandviken Church was inaugurated in May. The church cost 1,4 million kronor including furnishings. The artist Göran Hagegård donated a work that was sold in 100 copies to finance the church interior.

In 1984, the first “Old Times Crafts Week” was organized — a new tradition that would be further developed for many years.

In 1987 the old clock tower was replaced. The first “Värmland Week” was organized. In 1989 the farm bought 5,000 square meters of new land and organized the first “Healthcare Course”.

1990s: Major renewal

Expansion and renewal during the 1990s

1990s: Major renewal

During the winter of 1991 and spring of 1992, an extensive expansion was carried out. The new staff house was built, a new hygiene building with a sauna and showers was completed, and the Humsjöstugan cabin was erected.

In 1992, the so-called Bible and OAS days were organized for the first time. In 1994, a complete renovation of the Readers' Cottage began. In 1995-1996, the Bible Herb Garden was established according to an idea by Per Erik Frykberg.

In 1997, the entire renovation of the Reader's Cottage was completed, with a total of 11 rooms, eight of which have their own toilet. In 1998, Sandvikengården received a gift deed from John Persson in Gullsbyn with an estimated value of approximately 2,5 million kronor — the largest single gift in the farm's history.

On November 21, 1998, the interest group Sandvikengårdens Vänner was formed, on the initiative of Per Erik Frykberg, with the mission to "promote the farm's development, operations and finances."

2000s and beyond

The Man from Galilee – the traveling theater that was performed in 1996, 1997 and 2000

2000s and beyond

In 2000, the traveling theater "The Man from Galilee" performed for the third year in a row for 50 actors and 600 visitors.

During the winter of 2002–2003, a completely new kitchen was built. The old kitchen was demolished and an extension with a basement was built. In the winter of 2006–2007, the old dining hall was demolished and a completely new entrance was built at a cost of almost one million kronor — the farm finally gained year-round capacity and served its first Christmas table in December 2007.

In 2008, the farm received a bequest of approximately one million kronor from Wille Karlsson in Edane. In 2009, the buildings were converted from direct heating to a water-based geothermal heating system.

Today, Sandvikengården welcomes groups all year round with just over 30 rooms and four cottages with space for over 100 guests, a church with space for 150–200 people, and one of Värmland's oldest canoe centers.

MILESTONES

Timeline


1920s

Anna at Hagen donates the cottage on the shore of Värmeln to EFS in Värmland.

1931

The junior home is inaugurated by Minister of Local Government Anders Nilsson. The reading room is ready.

1932-33

First junior camp. In 1933 two camps with a fee of 6 kronor.

1951-56

First sewing association gathering of 200 people. Vilma Larsson starts in the kitchen. The camp hut is inaugurated in 1955.

1957-59

Bible course with Ole Hallesby. New dining room Sunnemosalen. Music camp starts.

1960-63

First confirmation camp. Music camp and youth camp.

1966-67

The Thanksgiving bell from Boda. New kitchen and dining room building. Cost 167,000 SEK.

1970-71

The Sunnemosalen will become a chapel. The camp cabin will get a sink. The inheritance fund will receive 80,000 SEK.

1972-74

First movable property auction. First children's choir camp. Canoe center starts.

1982-84

Sandviken Church was inaugurated in 1983 (1,4 million SEK). First Old Times.

1987-89

First Värmland Week. 5,000 square meters of new land. First Wellness Course.

1991-92

New staff house, hygiene building with sauna, Humsjöstugan.

1994-96

Total renovation of the Reader's Cottage. The Bible Herb Garden is being established.

1997-98

Gift deed from John Persson (~2,5 million SEK). Friends association formed.

2002-03

A new kitchen is being built. The old kitchen is being demolished.

2006-07

New entrance provides year-round capacity. First Christmas table December 2007.

2008-09

Wille Karlsson's will (~1 million SEK). Geothermal heating system installed.

Become part of history

The history of Sandvikengården is still being written. The farm has developed step by step from the small farmstead in 1931 to today's modern course and camp farm. Welcome to join us!

Contact us